Monday, April 27, 2009

Whether the weather be here or there.

When you live in rural Australia, the first greeting you have with people you come into contact with is invariably about the weather! So I can't help myself to comment on the weather experience here.
Warm weather crept into the system and the snow has gone from general areas with only remnants visible on the ski slopes. I suspect it is now over until next year but mother nature is known to throw up some curve balls that keeps the conversations going in the townships.
We were having a few days of drizzle rain but as dawn broke on ANZAC day (a day of remembrance for Australians and New Zealanders the world over), we received a shower of large hailstones. Some areas not too far away (Barrie) had golf ball sized hail. It was getting really warm and soon we had lightning strikes quite close by.
The point I wanted to make here was that the temp got up to 27 deg C on Saturday but on Sunday it took until sometime in the afternoon for the temp to climb above the zero mark! When we arose on Monday, it was already 15 deg at 7am and mid afternoon it reached 30 deg. Goodonya Momma Nature!
When I was about 5 years old, growing up at Sans Souci in Sydney, I remember hearing the old neighbour, Mr. Tucker, state "You don't need to light a fire until ANZAC DAY". I've observed over my lifetime that that is pretty accurate. Similarly, in Crookwell it is about 3 weeks earlier. Brrrrrrr, I don't want to think about it!
Speaking of Old Mr. Tucker reminds me.........
When I was young, even in my early twenties, virtually everyone seemed old. Many a time, I've come across photographs of people I used to think of as really old and yet while I was looking at these photos, I was already past the age they were in the photo! Never thinking of myself as "old" I do realise plenty of young people will think of me that way. As long as I can still be considered a friend, regardless of age, then I'll feel comfortable with life.
I often reflect on a line from the
anonymous Verse "Desiderada" .......... "gracefully surrender the things of youth" ......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)