Friday, April 24, 2009

More than one delight.

I picked up Megan from work at 5pm and we headed down to Bradford. The area Megan lived when I met her. She still has her son Daryl there, many friends and of course our little grand daughter Taylor.
I had been going to tell you earlier that the insurance company wouldn't allow me to drive the car when i first got here. The guy advised Megan and Daryl that I needed an international license to drive it. I wouldn't accept that off hand because I'd already researched that with the licensing laws of Ontario as a guide, a long time ago. So we had to wait until after Easter when the guy was back at work. Megan spoke to him and he again restated his knowledge. I told him to go and check because I reckoned he was wrong. After a 5 min wait on the end of the phone, he came back, apologised, and said I was correct. I could drive. He said they must have changed the laws recently. I told him that it was still the same as it was more than a decade ago and probably since Henry Ford was around.
An international license is only issued in the country you come from and is only applicable here IF you are staying longer than 60 days, and are not becoming a permanent resident. i.e. on a Visa after 90 days.
Anyway, after a short stint at the wheel, Megan took over so I could Rubber Neck at the scenery etc. It was raining lightly, as it did for the next few couple of days we were away in Bradford.
We stayed 2 nights with long time friends, Kym & Brian. (They refer to it as the Bradford B&B). It was great catching up with them although Megan has seen / stayed there many a time since she had become and Aussie.
The next day we took Daryl and his (gorgeous) delightful girfriend Stacey out to lunch at the Mr. Greek restaurant in Newmarket to celebrate his 25 th Birthday.
While in Newmarket we took the opportunity to visit the very large Costco store. It is a store where you need to hold a yearly membership to shop there. Businesses as well as indivduals. Membership can include additional photo ID membership cards for your family. Personal membership is $55 / year per family. You can buy at wholesale prices..... Yea, Yea!
I was astounded at some of the prices for TV's, Computers, Accessories, and the like. I didn't bother looking too much in the food department or the clothing sections. Just call me a IT nerd! Lots of stuff but no, not everything or every brand.
Later in the afternoon, we went to visit our grand daughter Taylor for an hour after school. Oh boy, is she a sweetie or what? Such a live wire at 4-1/2 and she's been that way all of those short years.
Every home we have visited since I arrived in Canada has at least one dog living in the house and all but two have been extra large dogs! Our grand daughter, the smallest person I've met here, has the largest of all dogs! A Newfoundlander. It's name is Mas (something) but Maz for short. Not that he's short at all but at least he's gentle. He is like a Grizzly if you let him jump up on you.















When we left I had to scrape my molten heart off the floor.

Back at Brian & Kym's there was a power outage that covered the whole district and it was out until 8:30 pm. In the meantime, we dined on cold meats and salad. Seeing the kettle wouldn't boil, I had to settle for a cold beer. What sacrifices we have to make at times.

Megan's other friend we intended visiting was not available and so we went "window shopping" as I still call it or Malling the more modern term.
Megan took me to a Cafe' where she often has breakfast with the boys. It is the same kind of deal as "The 5th Wheel" diner near Milton (closer to Toronto). We each had the regular breakfast from the menu. 3 eggs (cooked any fashion), 4 short sausages, tomato, pile of potato fries and 2 slices of toast. That cost $4.99 each. We also had coffee in bottomless cups. i.e. they keep refilling it for you as it gets down. The total came to $15.10. I did not need to eat another thing that day before going to bed and I didn't. (It might have been all the fatty grease? Probably explains the appearance of a high percentage of Canadians. Please note that I didn't say all, nor mean to offend anyone).










We took a different way back to Meaford for the most part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)