Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Accepting the Good with the Sad

click to enlarge

The hardest part about moving to Canada was to determine the future of our close companions, Nova and Max. Megan wanted them to come to Canada with us. So that was the plan for quite a while. They both had "shots" for Rabies etc. Max desexed and Microchipped. They would both have needed re vaccinating in August '09. Transporting to Canada was as expensive as for my own travel. A pretty expensive exercise but cost was never a real barrier. It wasn't until I sat down and worked out the logistics involved that I realised it just wouldn't be practical or fair to Nova.

Since Megan moved, the financial crisis hit the world and that has until now at least, put a "stopper" on Farm Sales. So my stay in Australia has been extended. Megan was anxious for me to come and visit, and now here I am. BUT the price of that was not the airfare, but sacrificing the remainder of Nova's life. It was both my opinion and that of the experts that Nova would not be able to adjust to life without me and would fret herself to death. On Friday 3rd April, I took her to the Vet in Crookwell, and it was so quick and peaceful that she was gone before I could even say good-bye. She was such a perceptive and intelligent dog that I had to maintain a 'normal' routine and attitude so that she wouldn't suspect what was happening. She "trusted" me right until the very last moment, and that makes me both sad and relieved.

Meanwhile, Max is temporarily at John Davies Motors Mon-Fri and John takes him home and to his farm for the weekend. Trevor Keyser will be permanently back at his farm at Lost River a couple of weeks after my return. His farm backs onto the back-side of our farm. He will be Max's new master. It will be interesting to see how it will work out with him being so close by his 'old' home. i.e. will he be constantly trying to come back. I "stirred" Megan by saying to her that I'd just beat the crap out of him a few times until he doesn't want to come back.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do and it ain't always easy or pleasant.
http://www.anelvisfan2001.com/OldShep.mp3

Max (9 yr Brown Kelpie) Nova (11 yr White & Black Cattle X kelpie??)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)