Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thornbury & Heathcote

I'm writing this blog a week or so after the event and I've just discovered a mix-up! It has been confusing when using the dates on the images to group them to a days events. It suddenly hit me now that the dates are based Australian times with the date changing during our Ontarian day. I'm not going to try and change things now and not that it has had any effect until this day. As my brother would say, "Who cares?"
It was actually the day before that we drove into a carwash. Being winter, there weren't any Bikini Babes washing the car for us. Yet the 'lass' that cleaned ours was a smashing sort don't you think?





We had to go to Thornbury for a visit to Megan's doctor. Whilst she was there, I wandered around a little old hardware store. It was amazing. There was such a variety of stock and plenty of it. It would have been 1/3 of the size of one of our Crookwell hardware stores (JDs) but contain every bit as much stock and variety. Not electrical goods though.
We also drove out to friends' farm at Heathcote. At the farm, Lori has a horse arena where she teaches Hunters and Jumpers. She also competes as a Show Jumper herself.





The Arena construction is very common place on farms here I've noticed. They are commonly used for Hay Sheds and Machinery Sheds.






Most horse floats are like the one shown using a gooseneck coupling that pivots on a mounting in the back of a pickup truck. Some a lot bigger.

Between the house and the arena, they have a handy bridge across the stream. I thought I should make sure it was safe to use by telling Megan I wanted to take her photo while she stood in the middle of it! As you can see it proved safe enough for me to use.


Back in Thornbury, we went down to the Harbour, or Marina. All along the Georgian Bay shores are resorts catering to the Skiers in winter and the summer recreational activities of aquatic sports, golf and the like.

2 comments:

  1. G'day Rick

    This will be short & honest. When I view the pictures of you with family and friends over there in Canada I am truly elated for you. All the other pictures make me feel somewhat sad that one day you will leave our Australia for Canada.

    Great place to visit I'm sure.

    A Fordson Mate..........Dom (Mick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice sentiments Mick. My trump card is my best friend and wife, Megan. It's what you hang onto at all cost. I'd never be dealt another. :)
    Once an Aussie, always an Aussie. Even Megan will maintain that. Become a Canadian too? Why not? We are all brothers when it counts.
    It is certainly a nice place to visit. To coin a controversial tourism slogan, "So where the bloody hell are you?" Once we are settled, our friends will be most welcome to share our abode, as humble as it probably will be.
    We do what we have to do: We go where we have to go: We stay true of ourselves at all cost.
    Cheers mate, (and not just via Fordson either)
    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)