Sunday, April 19, 2009

Niagara to Meaford -Thurs 9th

After a nice inexpensive breakfast at the in-house Starbuck's outlet, (yeah, real food deserving to be called Breakie) we were heading North to Meaford.
We went via Guelph to call in and see Megan's mum (mom) who would be heading to Florida for a couple of weeks. (Widowed only a few weeks before.)
It was great to see her after 11 years. Megan had visited a number of times over the years. I'm also glad that I had been able to speak to her late husband Jim at Christmas. He sounded so cheerful although he knew his time was approaching quickly. He had been fighting pancreatic cancer for the past 3 years. Although I hadn't spent a great deal of time in his company, and not in the past 11 years, he'd left a lasting impression with me that I cherish.
Staying at the house was one Megan's sisters, Beth. It was a delight catching up with her, and also a couple of Megan's nephews that belong to her other sister Laurie. Both Andy and Mark were young 'squirts' when I saw them last! Not now. But isn't that the way the world is these days? Now kids usually dwarf their parents at a surprisingly early age.
The journey north took us past a kind of familiar sight. I'd never been near Shelburne before, but seeing the Wind Farms was familiar. Crookwell being the first place in Australia to have a wind farm; albeit only 8 of similar size to those in Shelburne. The ones here are on pretty level ground whereas those at Crookwell are on high ridges. I couldn't count how many there are in Shelburne but the new ones being to be built near Crookwell will be much, much larger (2-1/2 times) and more in number I should think. The first approval was for 58, and more projects in the pipeline.



More snow was evident in this region too. As we got closer to Meaford the snow covering was considerable. It was pretty! I really don't understand why Canadians wouldn't want it all year round. (Yeah right! As if..... )



We were heading down a long straight road which is called Grey Rd 7. (Which means Grey County road 7). Ahhhhh I knew where I was now. I was getting excited. I had seen a video of this same section of road in the same snowy conditions on Youtube! Over one crest and then to see another a few kilometers ahead. The blue water of Georgian Bay was becoming increasingly more prominent in the vista.



The first vehicle we came up behind was a Yellow School Bus. The sign on the back states clearly that you must not pass the bus when the lights are flashing. Unlike NSW where it is "40kph max when lights are flashing". I can think of a few Aussie drivers that would be spitting chips if they had to come to a dead stop each time the school bus stopped! Then again, they wouldn't like the 80kph on highways and only 100kph on proper Expressways.



Just a little observation about those speed limits. When I was last in Canada, the traffic observed the speed limits religiously. Megan commented that on a couple of subsequent visits she'd noticed the driving standard had deteriorated and speeding was common. So far I have observed that around the towns the 50 kph is observed pretty well but once you get onto a Hwy, you are being pushed along if you sit on 90 kph (10 over) as most traffic seems to move at around 95, between Owen Sound and Collingwood at least. (The only 60 km of hwy I've driven to date.)
Finally we turned onto Sykes St. (Hwy 26) and were nearing the town center. I'd longed for 8 months to see this vision in reality rather than by photos and maps. I wasn't disappointed. Megan was surprised I knew where some things were that she didn't. The power of the internet. And some people condemn it, eh?



We pulled into a Supermarket to get some groceries before going to the house. We were only there 30 seconds when Megan stopped with the shopping trolley to decide where she needed to go. I said to her, "I know that bloke over there." I can't remember her exact reply, but it was in disbelief that I could know anyone. I said to her, "Well I don't personally know him but I know his name is Chris Fell". "How could you know that?" she demanded to know. "He is the chief journalist for the Meaford Times!"
So here I was in the town that we hoped to settle in.



Next we were at the home where Megan is sharing with her landlady and now good friend, Marcie. Another exciting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)