Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The pain of leaving Meaford

The day has come too quickly that I have to leave Meaford and begin the trail back to Crookwell. It was weird. The day before, I was saying to myself, this will be the last time I drive this road until I come back; this will be the last time I'll see the sunset in Meaford until I get back, etc. etc.
Then there was the saying goodbye to Marcie and her dogs and cats! I'll miss them all.

Once we left Meaford in the morning, we would travel south and at the end of the day we would be at the Americana Resort in Niagara Falls. It was to be a very full and enjoyable day, even if it meant saying temporary goodbyes along the way. There is too much to cram into one post so it will be divided into separate posts chronologically.

On the way south from Meaford, we had a luncheon appointment with the delectable Karen at Port Credit. Megan drove so I could 'rubber neck' as she calls it, to look at the sights. Taking photos through the window isn't perfect. Some come out and some don't. (The passenger window doesn't open at the moment!) Getting Megan to stop at a given place is like asking the captain of the QEII to pick up a fallen water skier! ;) Actually, I'm sure I'd have more success with the captain!

Meaford is surrounded by Apple Orchards. In the last couple of days, the leaves had begun to appear on them. It would have been a real sight to see them all come into full blossom. The grass is really green now and all the trees are showing new leaves as Spring gets into full swing.
Beaver Valley Ski Resort - Beaver Valley

There is a real "Neatness" about the farms here. One of the things I had wanted to make a photo study of, before leaving, was of the old barns that are falling down. Some being preserved but most decaying, like they are in Australia. The old timber barns giving way to more modern materials sadly. Another study was to show the typical old style "squared or cubed" farmhouse.



In an early post, I showed a glimpse of the wind farm near Shelburne. This time we passed them again. Although Megan agreed to stop for photos, we seemed to overshoot the logical place to stop :- on top of the hill. Oh, well you can't complain about small mercies! ;)


Ontario was looking beautiful with its lush green pastures extending as far as the eye could see until it became a blue vista of Lake Ontario.
We were pretty well on time to meet with Karen at Port Credit which is near Mississauga. Now I'd been to Mississauga on my previous trip, but I didn't recall it having such a dominant skyline!
Just a small sample of Mississauga's skyline.

Mississauga in relation to Toronto and Port Credit.


.

1 comment:

  1. The apple trees are starting to bloom now. Your Pilot is missing you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will have to be verified by myself before it appears on the blog. (Stops spam and unsavory posts)